Skip to main content

Food Is Fuel: Paleo Shrimp Bowl


Shrimp, Kale, and Zucchini Sautéed in Avocado Oil. With Minced Garlic, Paprika, and Himalayan Pink Salt.

In todays microwave age, food isn't the only thing people want fast. But it seems to be lower on the quality scale than most other things people want. A large number of the people here in America skip meals like breakfast everyday because they just don't have the time. Or they rely on fast food drive thru's and or heavily processed, breakfast foods/cereals high in refined sugars, and other unhealthy ingredients like preservatives, artificial colors, artificial flavors, gluten, soy, and more. Besides breakfast, lunch time seems to be the second most neglected. Not just skipping lunch, but what people eat on their lunch. Most Americans go to work everyday, and unless they take the time to pack themselves a healthy lunch everyday (highly recommended) chances are they aren't putting the best fuel in their bodies. What seems to be the common factor in why people neglect the fuel they put in their bodies? Time. They don't have enough time is the common answer. So today I am going to take you through an everyday lunchtime meal of mine, that I prepare and eat everyday on my hour lunch. To prove you can still prepare healthy meals, and fuel your body with the nutrition you need in a short amount of time. Yes I realize some people have less time for lunch, and cant leave like I do. Thats where meal prepping and packing your lunch for work comes into play. I will cover these topics in a later blog post.


Every day that I work, I get a one hour lunch break. During this lunch break I leave work like a lot of my fellow co-workers. I leave work and drive about 8 minutes down the road to my fathers house. I live about 35-40 minutes from work, so I leave the foods I need for lunch at his house, and go there to prepare my meal everyday. I do this because we only have a microwave at work to reheat food, and I do not use them. So I have worked out a way to still have a hot lunch without using the microwave. If I could not leave work for whatever reason, and still only had the microwave. I would pack a cold lunch, like a salad.



Ingredient #1: Wild Caught Shrimp

The first ingredient to this meal is Shrimp. I use shrimp as the main protein source for the meal. Shrimp have almost 18g of protein per 3oz. They are also packed with other essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals. Including 295mg of omega-3, and 17.9mg of omega-6 fatty acids. Also 1.3 mcg of vitamin B12, and an impressive 33.7 mcg of Selenium (48% DV) a very important mineral. Plus it has the brain boosting vitamin Choline. Which is used for several functions in the body from cell structure to a healthy nervous system, but maybe most importantly in the brain. Choline is considered to be a Nootropic, which are essentially nutrients for your brain. They help with memory and cognitive functions of the brain. The daily recommend amount for adult women is 425mg and 550mg for adult men. Many people supplement Choline to get their DV if they are not getting it from food sources alone.

Ingredient #2: Organic Kale

I start the shrimp in a covered pan with my next ingredient, chopped kale. Both of these I buy frozen, fresh kale would be better but sometimes I have had a hard time getting good fresh organic kale. I use kale because it is a vegetable low in carbs to stick with my Keto/Paleo diet. It is also high in potassium (329mg per cup), which I found I wasn't getting enough of ounce I started tracking my daily nutrient intake. Anyway, I start both of these in a covered skillet on medium-high heat and cook until they are both thawed. I then drain the water out of the pain and return it to a medium heat.


Ingredient #3: Organic Zucchini Squash

While I have the shrimp and kale thawing in the pan I get to work on the next ingredient, freshly chopped organic zucchini squash. Zucchini is another low carb vegatable packed full of nutrients. I chop the zucchini into thin slices and wait until the shrimp and kale are thawed and I drain the water out (like I described above). Then I add in the zucchini slices and cover again. I keep stirring ocassionaly until the zucchini is cooked, then I add the last few ingredients.



I start by stirring in two tablespoons of Avocado Oil into the pan. Avocado Oil has MCT's, or Medium Chain Triglycerides like coconut oil. So it is a good fat for a quick source of energy. It is also high in Monounsaturated Fat, which is the healthiest kind. I use it for most of my cooking. Then I add in 2 teaspoons of minced garlic. Garlic is in the allium family of vegetables, along with onions and leeks. Allium vegetables are known for their strong odor. This smell comes from sulfur-containing compounds, such as allicin, that have many health-promoting effects. Because of this garlic has a wide variety of benefits from helping you get over you cold or flu, to reducing inflammation, to lowering your risk of heart attack. After the garlic is stirred in, I top it all of by sprinkling in some Paprika and Himalayan Pink Salt to taste. Paprika is rich in antioxidants, such as Carotenoids that prevent damage from oxidative stress, and help the body fight disease. These nutrients are fat-soluble, meaning they’re absorbed best when consumed alongside a healthy fat source, such as avocado. This is why I use the paprika in conjunction with the avocado oil. Himalayan salt contains over 84 minerals and trace elements, including calcium, magnesium, potassium, copper and iron. So it is a much better choice over table salt which does not. This wraps up my daily lunchtime meal, whats in it, why its in there, and what the body gets out of these ingredients.


If You Enjoyed This Blog Post, Check Out My Website www.brando.space, Follow Me on Social Media, Follow My News Channel's on Apple News & Google News To Stay Updated With The Latest Health & Fitness News, Events, Deals on Health Foods & Supplements, Healthy Recipes, Workouts & More!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Testosterone: Foods That Help Produce It, and Why You Want More of It

It seems like you can't listen to any radio station without hearing commercials for some drug that helps men with low testosterone . They tell you all the side effects of low testosterone like, lack of energy, mood problems including depression, increase of body fat, loss of muscle mass and strength, decreased libido or sex drive and erectile dysfunction. But none of them seem to ask, why do all these men have low testosterone now? What has changed that has made males testosterone levels decrease? The answer lies in many areas including, diet, exercise and environment. To try and figure out how or why so many males testosterone levels are dropping, you must first look at how the body produces testosterone. In humans and most other animals, testosterone is produced primarily by the testicles in males, and to a lesser extent, the ovaries in females. Like other steroid hormones, testosterone is derived from cholesterol. The first step in the biosynthesis  involves the oxidat

Is whats in Your Whey, getting in Your Way to those gains?

Got Milk? More Importantly, What Does Your Milk Have In It? Got milk? More importantly, what does your milk have in it? With increasing demand for dairy, many farmers have resorted to Factory Farming . This is a process in which farm animals are kept in factory type environments. Standing in their own waste, confined to small areas. This waste, when left untreated leaks into ground  and surface water. In some cases polluting the water supply. These animals don't live anything like they were intended to. These horrible conditions lead to the animals getting sick. The farmers then use antibiotics to treat the animals. The overuse of antibiotics has caused people and animals to become immune, and even bacteria to become antibiotic resistant.  Residues of antibiotics in the treated cows end in their milk, and dairy products. These residues can cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. These are just a few of the problems with the use of antibiotics used

Fight Fat, With Fat!

Fight fat with fat? I thought you were supposed to avoid fats? Thats why we have all of these healthy "Fat Free" and "Low Fat" foods on the market. So eating foods high in fats must surely cause us to gain fat right? Wrong. More and more research is showing the massive amount of benefits from a high fat, low carbohydrate based diet. Including reversing high blood sugar, anti-aging benefits , loosing body fat, and even the resolution of longstanding schizophrenic symptoms. Yes it seems very contradictory to try to burn fat, and loose weight by consuming high amounts of fat in our diets. This is based on the old ideology that dietary fats are bad for us. Coming from a review published in 1967 in the New England Journal of Medicine by three Harvard Scientists. This review downplayed the link between sugar and heart disease , and promoted saturated fat as the leading factor. We now know this to be false, and in fact is bad science. The New York Times wrote